Monday, August 3, 2009

an actual return to high school...

So as most of you know, I started a new job at a restaurant. Going through training yesterday and today was the most vivid living flashback of high school I've ever had. I never would have expected restaurant work to bring it all back. My junior year of high school, I worked at Portillo's Hotdogs--a half fast-food, half sit-down restaurant in Batavia. I was 17. I was terrified during training, because it was my first job outside of babysitting and piano teaching. I ended up loving it (as much as you can love a job working in fast food): I worked with Steve Hladik in the drive through line, and I was promoted to trainer within a month. I was fast and I was good. Now, at 24 (with a master's degree, NOT that that matters...) I'm training for the same job. Less responsibilities, actually. And re-learning the abbreviations for expediting food, where all the random restaurant crap is, and dealing with cranky line cooks has--to my utter surprise--reminded me of those days--days I haven't thought about in about 7 years.

Since today was my second (and last) day of training, I felt kind of stupid, slow, and deaf. (You really should consider NOT working in a kitchen if you're got a bad ear. I'm constantly asking, "what?" -- to which the unheard culprit usually repeats whatever he/she said in the same garbled half-yell. They must think I'm an idiot.)

It's so weird being back here again. I feel simultaneously like a failure and like a rockstar--doing the grunge work, getting paid almost nothing, but not worrying about my job the minute I leave the restaurant. This will either result in me kicking ass at my writing business or working forever in a restaurant. Which I don't think I have the proverbial stones for. I'm too cushy. Plus I want to make real money. Soon.

So I work tomorrow's day shift again, then I have the next two days off. During which you can bet your ass I'll be marketing my writing skills. Time passes a lot faster when you're making $40 an hour than when you're making $6+tips.

1 comment:

  1. ahhh... that job is sounding (frighteningly) appealing right now! well, maybe bartending or waiting tables or being that cranky line cook ;)

    ReplyDelete